Friday, November 1, 2013

Math Story Starters

Hello and good morning :) I really need to get better at blogging. I have been so busy working, taking care of my family, making TpT products (I have three ready to go FINALLY!) and loving on our new little one-Mojo. Any who, I love word problems!  I believe they are so great at getting the wheels turning in little minds. Then I had an Aha moment of how can I make their little minds think even more-critical thinking! Math Story Starters-how cute is that! We have them for language/reading activities why not math. The students create story/word problems from the picture provided and they can add to the picture as well by drawing. They write the key words they used and write the number sentence to solve the problem.  I also included a graphic organizer to enlarge or use on your over-head (everyone is not as blessed to have SMART Boards) essential questions and a blank copy to really get it going. It is really fun to see all of the amazing math stories they come up with and solve. Teachers can work on addition problems for a day or a week then take the same activity and ask students, “How can we make this a subtraction story/word problem?” This activity is a great resource  for introducing story/word problems, whole class, independent, small groups, morning work,  homework  as well as ELLs because of the pictures and easy to read language.   Click the link to download preview. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All content © 2012-2013 Teachie Peachie | All Rights Reserved.